After my friends and I went on an eight kilometre walk one morning, we sat down to eat a delicious bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit and began chatting about how we pump ourselves up when we’re feeling low or not so hot. Ya know, girl talk.
Sometimes, we welcome the upset with sad music, but other times, we kick the bad attitudes to the curb and listen to all the pump up jams of which we can think.
My favourites are “I’m the Best” by Nicki Minaj and “So Good” by Destiny’s Child. If you’ve read any of my posts on A Quarter Young, you know I adore Beyoncé, so of course, many of her songs are also what keep me moving and smiling.
How do we find that inner, “I’m the light that keeps the streets on?” You think like this:
- You may not have a ticket to the Met Gala (or a billion dollars in an elevator), but you can get fancy when you need to (even on a budget).
- Believe it, you are a superstar and if anyone asks, you’re doing mighty fine.
- You’re just as strong a businessperson as she is (plus, you can most definitely take control over any situation). Any questions?
- You can be competitive (sure, you aren’t up against RiRi, but we all have our own arch nemeses).
- Maybe, to you, success doesn’t mean Blue Ivy Carter, Hov’ and a duet with Onika, but you have your own definition of the “s” word and can achieve what you want.
- When you’re out and your phone won’t stop ringing, no one can tell you not to tell the person on the other end to stop calling like a collect-ah.
- When someone upsets you but you don’t find yourself crying, it’s because they definitely don’t deserve your precious tears and you’re strong!
- If you’re out and someone makes a negative comment about how you look, you have the power to identify as “Bootylicious,” no matter your size and shape, leaving the body-shamer totally SOL.
- If you put someone you love on top, while still having time to do you, remember you are walking, breathing and living flawlessly.
- If you want to wear your freakum dress, put your freakum dress on.
- You don’t have to have it all, but you’re not wrong to want happiness, even if your definition of the “h” word is different than someone else’s in your life.
- Don’t live your life hoping to please everyone else, just worry about you, yourself and…you!
- We all have flaws, so accept your flaws and all.
- Do what you need to do, even if that means creating an alter ego to give you strength. Let your inner Sasha Fierce shine!