A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure at having dinner, which actually was just dessert, at a restaurant called Future Bistro, which offers breakfast, bar foods and of course a dessert bar. Upon entering the Annex location, I noticed an entire bar fridge filled with cakes, cheesecakes, pies and more. There must have been dozens of sweets to choose from. After careful deliberation, I chose the peanut butter chocolate cheesecake (one of my biggest guilty pleasures).
This brought back great memories of Oh So Good, an Ottawa dessert shop I would go to when visiting my sister while she was studying at the University of Ottawa. Oh So Good, based in the infamous ByWard Market, is a shop filled to the brim with only cakes, pies, coffees and all things comforting.
On the theme of fulfilling our sweet tooth, here are five Toronto dessert cafés and shops you just have to go to:
- Carole’s Cheesecakes: Located in Yorkville, this cake-ateria serves homemade and delicious cheesecakes for affordable prices.
- Phipps Bakery Café: Located on Eglington Ave W, this café should be your go to for exquisite tarts and pies.
- Ice ‘n Cakes: Located in the Shops as Don Mills, this unique location north of the city appeals to the hot and cold in all of us. Order your favourite piece of cake or a sweet crepe with a side of homemade gelato.
- Sullivan & Bleeker Baking Co.: Located in North York, Sullivan’s is entirely nut free! Yes! You can order dozens of different cupcakes all made nut-safe.
- For the Love of Cake: Located in Liberty Village, experience unique flavoured cupcakes and even order custom cakes and cake pops when you check out the shop.
As a photographer with a love of food, capturing photos of food for fun or for an assignment, I’ve learned that desserts can come in all shapes, sizes, colours and flavours. Now that I’m a self-titled dessert expert, here are a few of my favourite (and most mouth watering) photos. Do forgive me if you dig into that last slice of chocolate cake in your fridge after checking them out. Actually, don’t forgive me. Enjoy every last bite!